ITC and Fees Free
Fees Free is targeted at first-time learners. You may be able to get one year’s study or two years’ training fees-free. Check if you are eligible by entering your National Student Number (NSN) in the tool on the feesfree.govt.nz website.
ITC is an approved Tertiary provider that can offer this as we are recognised by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) and we are funded through the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC).
Learners planning to start study or training can check their eligibility on the Fees Free website:
- Learners should go to feesfree.govt.nz/ and enter their National Student Number (NSN) to find out if they are eligible.
- Eligibility criteria and information for 2022 will be available later in 2021.
- The criteria below have been updated to include eligibility criteria updates for 2021.
- Please read the information below and put your NSN number into the NSN checker on the homepage to find out if you are eligible for Fees Free.
What is an NSN number? The National Student Number (NSN) is a unique number given to every student. The NSN makes it easier for us to manage and share information about students in a way that protects their privacy.
How to access the NSN – The National Student Number (NSN) is a unique number given to every student. The NSN makes it easier for us to manage and share information about students in a way that protects their privacy. We would suggest that you contact NZQA here to retrieve your NSN number
To be eligible for Fees Free, you need to meet the residency and prior study and training criteria below.
You must be one of the following:
- a New Zealand citizen, or
- ordinarily resident in New Zealand and;
- have been living in New Zealand for at least 3 years while holding a residence class visa, or
- a refugee or protected person, or
- sponsored into New Zealand by someone in their family who, at the time of sponsorship, was a refugee or protected person; or
- a holder of the Christchurch Response (2019) Permanent Resident Visa; or
- a holder of a residence class visa who would have been eligible for the Christchurch Response (2019) Permanent Resident Visa.
Prior study and training criteria
- You must have been enrolled in a school in or after 2019, other than as an adult learner, or
- You must have not undertaken more than half a year of equivalent full-time tertiary education (0.5 equivalent full-time student (EFTS) or 60 credits) at level 3 or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF), including tertiary education at an equivalent level undertaken in any country.
The following do not count as prior study or training:
- Tertiary education undertaken while enrolled in school prior to 1 January 2019 (except for tertiary education undertaken as an adult learner).
- Tertiary courses undertaken as part of your school learning programme or secondary-tertiary programme on or after 1 January 2019.
- Credits achieved as part of any industry training programme that consists of fewer than 120 credits that are reported after 1 January 2018.
- Tertiary education undertaken as part of the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF).
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Youth Guarantee programme after 1 July 2020.
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Maori and Pasifika Trades Training programme after 1 July 2020.
- Tertiary education undertaken through the Refugee English Fund.
Learn more about prior study and training.
Contact us at 0800 601 301 or email@example.com if you have questions about your eligibility, including prior study or training.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) are available here feesfree.govt.nz/faqs/
The ITC team are here to help
Our friendly team will assist you with the following:
- We will assist you with the process of checking if you are eligible for fees free study
- Any student allowance applications to help assist you during your study. Click here for more information
- Your student loan application if you do not qualify for fees free. Click here for more information
- Our friendly team help you with every step of the enrollment process so you can focus on preparing for your brighter future in NZ’s largest most exciting industry
Click here to contact us now for more information.